The St. Pat's Parade takes place on Saturday, March 15th at 11:00am on Pine Street in Downtown Rolla. In order to be eligible for reimbursements and receive points for participating in the parade, a float must be entered, approved, and paraded down Pine Street.
To enter a float or non-float each organization must first email their (non-)float concept/title to Jon Moiser at firstname.lastname@example.org. The concept/title must be in adherence to the 2014 theme "Pat's Before Time" In the case of two or more organizations entering the same concept, it will be decided on a first come first served basis. Also, float concepts will have preference over non-float concepts. Once the concept is approved organizations must fill out the entry form attached at the end of this packet by February 18th for student entries. Once the entry form is turned in and approved, your organization will be sent information regarding line-ups and other day of parade information. In order for a float to be entered and approved it must meet the following criteria:
- Maximum dimensions for float: 13 feet high (ground to highest point), 15 feet wide, and any length.
- Floats must denote the float title (ex. War of the Worlds, Mars Colony, First Man on the Moon.), the organization name, and the University's name (not MST). This can be in a sign or poster carried by people preceding the float itself. The Float must also have room on the pulling vehicle for a number to be taped for easier judging.
- A pair of boards must be attached to either side of the tow vehicle on which appropriate advertising will be displayed in a clear and legible fashion. St. Pat's will supply the advertising boards with dimensions of 4 ft high and 8 ft long.
- If the float fails (falls apart or becomes immobile) during the parade, the organization will not be eligible for points or reimbursements.
- There shall be no people on the float itself with the exception of the queen's float.
- There shall be no alcohol on the float.
- There will be no co-floats.
- If a member of the organization is convicted of any infraction of Rolla City ordinances during the parade, the organization will not be eligible for points or reimbursements.
While in the parade, the floats will be judged by distinguished members of Missouri S&T and the Rolla community. They will use the following criteria to judge the floats:
- General Effect.
- Adherence to the theme, parade route, starting times.
- A moving part is not required but will be looked highly upon by the judges.
The organization with the first place float will have the option to build the next year's Queens' Float. If all the criteria are met for the Queens� Float that organization will automatically be awarded at least second place. First place float was awarded to Beta Sigma Psi in 2011; they have the option to build the 2012 Queens' Float.
Organizations who decide not to build a float have the option of participating in the Parade by entering a non-float. The non-float must adhere to the theme and be approved by Jon Moiser. The non-float will not be judged and will only be awarded the non-float points.